Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Interview


Last week we introduced our newest employee, Bethany Wilcutt. In that post, we shared all of the certifications she brings to The Byers Law Firm. Our Marketing Manager, Kathryn, had the opportunity to sit down with Bethany this past week to ask a few in depth questions about her career path. We hope you enjoy this insight into our workplace!

---

1. How is practicing law in Kentucky different than California?
I think I am still learning the differences, but California practice is so full of codified rules, whereas Kentucky seems to be free from the unnecessary fluff.  In California, they seemed to make rules just for their rules, and it (at times) becomes overly complicated. 

2. What are you most looking forward to about practicing at The Byers Law Firm?
I am excited about the prospect of broadening the scope of my legal practice.  I have previously worked in an area requiring me to show compassion to victims of crime, I look forward to channeling that sensitivity to help people who are going through trying times in other legal aspects.

3. Have you always wanted to be an attorney?
I decided to become an attorney my sophomore year of college.  Before that, I thought I wanted to be a physical therapist.  Once I found the political science classes, I became passionate about the law.  I’ve never looked back.

4. What organizations were you involved in when you lived in California?
I was a member of the SART Team(“Sexual Assault Response Team”) for our county while in California.  The SART team included Rape Crisis counselors, Victim Advocates, prosecutors, and law enforcement officers, sexual assault nurses, and child interviewers.  The SART was a means to ensure that all the resources and aspects of our response to a victim of sexual assault was focused on the victim. 

I also served on the Child Death Review Committee.  This was a committee with prosecutors, law enforcement, the coroner’s office, and child welfare services would come together to review every single death of a person under the age of 18.

Each of the organizations helped me see that my career as an attorney can be used to benefit other and better the community as a whole.  I feel most fulfilled professionally when I am helping others on a personal level.

---

Welcome to Kentucky, Bethany! Paducah is so lucky to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment